K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2003-5-4 13:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Lesson 1  Finding fossil man 发现化石人

First listen and then answer the following question.

听录音,然后回答以下问题。

Why are legends handed down by storytellers useful?

We can read of things that happened 5,000 years ago in the Near East, where people first learned to write.

But there are some parts of the world where even now people cannot write. The only way that they can preserve their history is to recount it as sagas----legends handed down from one generation of storytellers to another. These legends are useful because they can tell us something about migrations of people who lived long ago, but none could write down what they did. Anthropologists wondered where the remote ancestors of the Polynesian peoples now living in the Pacific Islands came from. The sagas of these people explain that some of them came from Indonesia about 2,000 years ago.

But the first people who were like ourselves lived so long ago that even their sagas, if they had any, are forgotten. So archaeologists have neither history nor legends to help them to find out where the first‘modern men’ came from.

Fortunately, however, ancient men made tools of stone, especially flint, because this is easier to shape than other kinds. They may also have used wood and skins, but these have rotted away. Stone does not decay, and so the tools of long ago have remained when even the  bones of the men who made them have disappeared without trace.

ROBIN  PLACE Finding fossil man

New words and expressions  生词和短语

fossil man(title)/'f&s+l-'m$n/adj.化石人

ancestor(1.5)/'$nsest+/n.祖先

recount(1.3)/ri'k(nt/v.叙述

Polynesian(1.6)/?p!l'ni:zi+n/adj.波利尼西亚(中太平洋之一群岛)的

saga(1.3)/'s%:g+/n.英雄故事

legend(1.3)/'leDNnd/ n.传说;传奇

Indonesia(1.7)/'Ind+'ni:zN+/ n.印度尼西亚

migration(1.4)/mar'greM+n/n.迁移,移居

flint(1.11)/flint/n.燧石

anthropologist(1.5)/$nIr+'p&+DNlrst/n.人类学家

rot(1.12)/r&t/v.烂掉

archaeologist(1.9)/%:ki'&l+DNist/n.考古学家

Notes on the text  课文注释

1  read of,读到,和 read about是相同的意思。

2  the first people,原始人。

3  when even the bones of the men who made them have disappeared without trace, 这个以when引导的状语从句表示让步的意思,而when可以译成“虽然”,“尽管”。

参考译文

我们从书籍中可以读到5,000年前近东发生的事情,那里的人最早学会了写字。但直到现在,世界上仍然有些地方;人们还不会书写。他们保存历史的唯一办法是将历史当作传说讲述,由讲述人一代接一代地将史实描述为传奇故事口传下来。这些传说是很有用的,因为它们能告诉我们以往人们迁居的情况。但是;没有人能把他们当时做的事情记载下来。人类学家过去不清楚如今生活在太平洋诸岛上的波利尼西亚人的祖先来自何方,当地人的传说却告诉了人们:其中有一部分是约在2,000年前从印度尼西亚迁来的。

但是,和我们相似的原始人生活的年代太久远了;因此,有关他们的传说即使有如今也失传了。于是,考古学家们既缺乏历史记载,又无口头传说来帮助他们弄清最早的“现代人”是从哪里来的。

然而,幸运的是,远古人用石头制作了工具,特别是用燧石,因力燧石较之其他石头更易成形。他们也可能用过木头和兽皮,但这类东西早已腐烂殆尽。石头是不会腐烂的。因此,尽管制造这些工具的人的骨头早已荡然无存;但远古时代的石头工具却保存了下来。

Comprehension  理解

Give short answers to these questions in your own words as far as possible. Use one complete sentence for each answer.

1  How can anthropologists learn about the history of ancient peoples who have not left written records?

2  Why did ancient men prefer to use flint for making tools?

Vocabulary  词汇

Refer to the text to see how the following words have been used, then write sentences of your own using these words: preserve(1.3); recount(1.3); migrations (1.4); anthropologists (1.5); remote (1.5); decay (1.13); without trace(1.14).

Sentence structure  句子结构

A Combine the following statements to make complete sentences. Add conjunctions and relative pronouns of your own and omit the words or phrases in italics. Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

1  These legends are useful. They can tell us something about migrations of people. These people lived long ago. None could write down what they did. (11.4-5)

2  The first people who were like ourselves lived long ago. Even  their sagas, if they had any, are forgotten. (11.8-9)

3  Archaeologists have no history to help them to find out where the first ‘modern men’ came from. Archaeologists have no legends to help them to find out where the first modern men came from. (11.9-10)

4  Fortunately, however, ancient men made tools of stone, especially flint. This is easier to shape than other kinds.(11.11-12)

5  They may also have used wood and skins. These have rotted away. (1.12)

B Write a sentence to describe the work of an archaeologist.

C Write three short sentences on the history of early man using the following words in each sentence:

1  Written records.

2  Sagas.

3  Stone tools.

Key structures  关键句型

A  Compare these two sentences:

Instead of saying:

The only way that they can preserve their history is to recount it as sagas----legends which have been handed down from one generation of storytellers to another.

We can say:

The only way that they can preserve their history is to recount it as sagas----legends handed down from one generation of story tellers to another. (11.2-4)

Write sentences using the following phrases:

tools made of stone; legends recorded; remains found.

B  Note the use of tell in this sentence:

They can tell us something about migrations of people. (11.4-5)

Supply the correct form of say or tell in these sentences:

1  What did he ____ to you?

2  He ____ everybody that he had been ill.

3  Did you ____ that you have written a novel?

4  I can't ____ you about it now.

C  Note the use of where…from in this sentence:

Anthropologists wondered where the remote ancestors of the Polynesian peoples came from. (11.5-6)

Write two sentences using the same construction with the verbs  get and buy.

D  Compare these two sentences:

Instead of saying:

So archaeologists have neither history nor legends to help them to find out where the first‘modern men’ came from.(11.9-10)

We can say:

So archaeologists have neither history nor legends to help them find out where the first ‘modern men’ came from.

Write two sentences using these expressions: help me to lift; helped me make.

E  Supply the word the where necessary in this paragraph. Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

Fortunately, however, ____ ancient men made ____ tools of ____ stone, especially ____ flint, because this is easier to shape than ____ other kinds. They may also have used ____ wood and ____ skins, but these have rotted away. ____ stone does not decay, and so ____ tools of long ago have remained when even ____ bones of ____ men who made them have disappeared without trace. (11.11-14)

F  Compare these two sentences:

Instead of saying: It is possible that they used wood and skins, but these have rotted away.

We can say:

They may have used wood and skins, but these have rotted away. (1.12)

Write these sentences again using the construction with may  have.

1  It is possible that your mother called when you were out.

2  It is possible that you left your umbrella in the waiting  room.

3  It is possible that he changed his mind.

Special difficulties  难点

A  Study the following pairs of words and then write sentences of your own to bring out the difference.

1  parts (1.2)----places

Ancient rock paintings have been found in many parts of Spain and Portugal.

Of all the wonderful places in Italy, Florence and Venice are the two that most tourists wish to see.

2  history (1.3)----story

We often know little about the history of our own times.

Climb into bed and I'll read you a bedtime story.

(Please note: a story is an account, often fictional, of what happened in someone's experience; history is a factual account of past public or universal events)

3  wonder (1.5)----wander

I wonder if we've made a mistake here.

I love wandering around second-hand bookshops.

4  like (1.8)----as

There's no one like you.

Please do as I say.

5  find out (1.9)----find

What we have to do now is find out why the accident happened.

I'm sure I've already paid this bill, but I can't find the receipt.

6  ancient (1.11)----old

Property developers often have little regard for ancient/old  buildings. (old in terms of time; ancient = old in terms of history)

World leaders are often old men.

Mr. Briggs is an old friend of mine. (= one I have known for a long time)

7  tool (1.11)----instrument

We need some basic tools like a hammer and a screwdriver.

A dentist's instruments need to be constantly sterilized.

8  stone (1.11)----rock

The old church is full of beautiful stone sculptures.

Rocks had fallen from above, making the roads impassable.

9  skin (1.12)----leather

I've such a bad skin, I'm always coming out in spots.

Shoes made of real leather have become so expensive.

B  Study the use of happen in these sentences:

We can read of things that happened 5,000 years ago…(1.1)

He happened to be an archaeologist.

It happened that he knew the answer.

Complete the following sentences:

1  Do you happen ____?

2  It so happens that ____.

3  Can you tell me what ____?

Multiple choice questions  多项选择题

Choose the correct answers to the following questions.

Comprehension 理解

1  In illiterate societies, story-telling is a way of ____.

(a) teaching people how to write

(b) allowing us to find out about things that happened 5,000  years ago

(c) passing knowledge of the past from one generation to another

(d) preserving sagas recounted by story-tellers

2  It is extremely likely that ancient people ____.

(a) moved from one place to another

(b) came from Indonesia

(c} have left us information about their migrations

(d) preserved their sagas and legends

3  Anthropologists have been curious about ____.

(a) how Indonesia came to be inhabited

(b) how the Polynesian islands came to be inhabited

(c) why the Polynesian people travelled from Indonesia

(d) how the sagas told by ancient people were written

4  Though wood and skins rot away, anthropologists can learn a great deal from ____.

(a) materials that are easy to shape

(b) the bones of men who made tools

(c) stones that do not decay

(d) ancient tools made from stone

Structure  句型

5  In some parts of the world people are still ____ to write. (11.1-2)

a.incapable

b.impotent

c.enable

d.unable

6  They can preserve their history ____ down legends. (1.3)

a.by hand

b.by handing

c.to hand

d.in hand

7  The ____ why these legends are useful is that they tell us about migrations. (1.4)

a.cause

b.effect

c.why

d.reason

8  There weren't ____ of them who could write down what they did.(1.5)

a. any

b. none

c. no one

d. no

Vocabulary  词汇

9  The only way they can preserve their history is to ____ stories.  (11.2-3)

a.tell

b.make

c.say

d.recount

10  The people who lived long ago could not ____ their history.(1.5)

a.make

b.know

c.record

d.note

11  Some sagas tell us about the ____ of Polynesian peoples.(11.6-7)

a.origin

b.ancestors

c.explanation

d.legend

12  Tools made of stone, especially flint, were made by ____ (1.11)

a.old men

b.men who lived long ago

c.men of old

d.past men
※ 修改:UPTURN于2003-05-04 13:49:08修改本文
The courtier's,soldier's,scholar's,eye,tongue,sword;The expectancy and rose of the fair state,The glass of fashion and the mould of form,The observ'd of all observers,
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

The observ'd of all obse ...

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:53 | 只看该作者

Lesson 2 Spare that spider,, ,,Listening comp

Lesson 2 Spare that spider

Listening comprehension

1  Introduce the text

T: Today we'll talk about how spiders protect us from some of our greatest enemies.

2  Understand the topic

T: What can you see in the picture?

3  Listening objective

T: Listen to the text (or read it silently) and see if you can answer this question:

How much of each year do spiders spend killing insects?

4  Play the tape or read the text or wait for the students to finish reading silently

5  Answer the question

After the reading, ask the question again: How much of each year do spiders spend killing insects?

Train the students not to shout out the answer. Instead, ask one student, then ask the others to agree or disagree with a show of hands.

Answer: At least half the year. (11. 11-12)

6  Intensive reading

Play the tape or read the text again, pausing after every sentence to check the students understand. Obtain brief explanations to difficulties in the text from the students themselves. Only use Chinese if a confirmatory translation is necessary.

7  Play the tape or read the text again

8  Reading aloud

Ask one or two students to read the text aloud.

Comprehension questions

1  Why should we ‘spare that spider’? (Because it is our friend.)

2  In what way are spiders our friends? (They destroy insects.)

3  Insects are some of our greatest enemies, aren't they? (Yes, they are.)

4  Would it be possible for us to live in the world without spiders? (No, it wouldn't.)

5  If there were no spiders, what would insects do to all our crops? (They would devour them.)

6  What would happen to our flocks and herds? (Insects would kill them.)

7  What other creatures eat insects? (Some birds and beasts do.)

8  Do they destroy as many insects as spiders do? (No, they don't.)

9  How much harm do spiders do to us or our belongings? (None at all.)

10  Are spiders and insects closely related? (No, they're not.)

11  What do many people think about spiders? (They think that they are insects.)

12  What can one tell almost at a glance? (The difference between a spider and an insect.)

13  What is the difference? (A spider has eight legs and an insect never more than six.)

14  Has anyone ever made a census of spiders? (Yes, they have.)

15  Where was the census carried out? (In a grass field in the south of England.)

16  How many spiders did the expert estimate there were in one acre? (More than two and a quarter million.)

17  How many spiders would that mean on a football pitch? (Something like six million.)

18 For how much of the year are spiders busy in killing insects? (For at least half the year.)

19  Can we calculate how many insects are killed by spiders? (No, we can't.)

20  What weight of insects has been estimated to be destroyed by spiders in Britain in one year? (One (or A weight) greater than the total weight of all the human beings in the country.)

Asking questions: Ask me if…

T:  Ask me if we should spare that spider.

S:  Should we spare that spider?

T:  Why…?

S:  Why should we spare that spider?

1  we should spare that spider. (Why)

2  spiders are our friends. (In what way)

3  insects are some of the greatest enemies of the human race. (Whose enemies )

4  insects would make it impossible for us to live in the world.(Why)

5  all our crops would be devoured. (What)

6  our crops and herds are protected by insect-eating animals. (What... by)

7  we owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects. (Who… to)

8  they kill only a fraction of the number destroyed by spiders. (How many)

9  spiders ever do the least harm to us or our belongings. (What harm )

10  you can tell the difference between spiders and insects at a glance. (What)

11  a spider always has eight legs. (How many)

12  one authority on spiders made a census in a grass field. (Where)

13  he estimated that there were two and a quarter million spiders in one acre. (How many )

14  one can make only the wildest guess at how many insects they kill. (What sort of guess)

15  spiders are content with only three meals a day. (How many)

Reconstruct the text

1  Why ---- spiders our friends? ---- Because ---- destroy insects, ---- insects include greatest enemies----human race.

2  Insects make impossible ---- live in world; ---- devour crops ---- kill flocks and herds ---- if not protection ----insect-eating animals.

3  We owe ---- birds and beasts ---- eat insects ---- but all together kill fraction ---- number destroyed by spiders.

4  Moreover ---- unlike other insect eaters ---- never ---- the least harm ---- us or our belongings.

5  Spiders not insects ---- as many people think ---- nor ---- nearly related.

6  One can tell difference ---- spider ----- eight legs ---- insect ---- six.

7  How many spiders ---- engage ---- this work ---- our behalf?

8  One authority ---- made census ---- spiders in grass field ---- south of England, ---- estimate ---- two and a quarter million ---- one acre; ---- something like six million spiders ----- different kinds ---- football pitch.

9  Spiders busy ---- at least half year ---- kill insects.

10  Impossible ---- make ----- wildest guess ---- how many kill, ---- but hungry creatures ---- not content ----three meals ---- day.

11  Estimated that ---- weight ---- all insects destroyed ---- spiders ---- in Britain ---- one year ---- greater than total weight ---- all human beings ---- country.

Topics for discussion

1  How do you feel about spiders? Do you find them interesting, or do you dislike them?

2  Can you give some examples of how insects can be dangerous to human beings?

3  Do you think human beings should always do whatever is necessary to create better living conditions for people? Do you see dangers in this approach? Give some examples that support your point of view.

Key to Comprehension

Possible answers

1  We have reason to be grateful to insect-eating animals because insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race.

2  We can tell the difference between a spider and an insect because a spider has eight legs, and an insect never has more than six.

3  ‘One authority on spiders made a census in a grass field…’means that an expert on spiders formally counted how many spiders there were on a piece of ground covered with grass.

Key to Vocabulary

A possible answer

No matter how hard people work to destroy rat-populations, no human habitation is ever very far from a rat.

Brown locusts swarming at harvest time in Southern Africa can devour an entire nation's cereal crop in less than a week.

It was just the briefest possible hesitation, only a fraction of second, but it was enough to show that he was lying.

The refugees abandoned their homes and all their belongings and fled for their lives.

The pilot estimated that the flight would take four hours and twenty minutes.

Key to Sentence structure

A  See text.

B  See text.

C  A possible answer

1  I dislike finding spiders in the house because, unless I can pick them up and put them outside, I imagine them coming and walking across my face in the dark.

2  I like watching spiders spinning their webs because it always seems miraculous that anything so very small should be able to make such a large and complex structure so quickly.

3  I like the way that spiders will go on repairing their webs when these have been damaged by wind or by a large insect.

Key to KS Exercises

A  A direct question with why + simple present tense simply asks for information: Why are spiders our friends? If we wish to express our surprise or our failure to understand something, we can use either, I wonder why + indirect question: I wonder why spiders are our friends; or a direct question in which should + bare infinitive replaces the simple present: Why should spiders be our friends?

1  Why should he be so disappointed?

2  Why should you be so unwilling to change your mind?

3  Why should there be so many traffic accidents?

B  In conditional sentences that use would in the main clause, the verb in the if-clause is past in form, but does not refer to past time. In sentences like these, the if-clause refers to imagined or unreal situations: If it were not for the protection we get from insect-eating animals, and the main clause refers to their imagined, and unreal, consequences: they would devour all our crops. Using were, rather than was in the if-clause, emphasizes the unreality of the imagined condition.

1 were 2 were 3 were

C  The basic rules here are:

the for specifying in a limited context: tell the difference, the south of England;

zero article for plural countables in general statements: Spiders are not insects;

a/an with singular countables mentioned as an example of their class: a spider has eight legs; or for the first time: a grass field; an acre.

See text.

Special difficulties

A

1  All of them together: all of + pronoun or noun subject means ‘every individual in the group’. Together is an adverb emphasizing the unity of the whole group: All of the letters were posted together. All the children came out of school together.

Altogether is an adverb of degree meaning ‘entirely’, ‘absolutely’: The two ideas are altogether separate.

I'm not altogether surprised.

2  We use the other to refer to the second of two things or groups: This (one/book) is red; the other (one/book) is black.

Else, meaning ‘additional’, ‘more’ or ‘different’ , is especially common after indefinite pronouns: someone/no one/anyone, etc.: Let somebody else do it. We also use else after question words: Who else is coming? Where else would you like to go?

3  We use the least as an intensifier combining with adjectives to form negative superlatives: the least able, the least intelligent, etc. In this example, however, the least is a quantifier, and means ‘the smallest amount of’. As a quantifier the least combines with uncountable nouns: the least opportunity, the least money. It also occurs in the adverb phrase in the least, meaning ‘in the slightest degree’: I'm not in the least impressed.

The last means ‘the final’, as opposed to ‘the first’, ‘the second’, etc.: the last emperor of China; the last time I saw you; the last person in the room, etc.

4  Harm is either a noun: harm meaning ‘damage’,‘negative effect’: He means no harm. He does no harm to anyone but himself. Or it is a verb: harm + direct object, meaning ‘cause damage to’, ‘affect negatively’: Pesticides harm the soil.

Hurt is a verb meaning ‘cause mental or physical pain’: Remarks like that really hurt. I fell and hurt my back We can also use it intransitively: My back hurts, i.e. causes me pain.

5  Glance (noun) means ‘a quick look’ ---- that is a deliberate action, using the eyes consciously: Take a glance at yourself in the mirror. It is also a verb: He glanced up = ‘he looked up’.

Glimpse (noun) is ‘a quick involuntary sight’:I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. i.e. I saw it fleetingly without intending to. Glimpse is also a verb: I glimpsed him hurrying away.

6  Work is uncountable, the act of working or the product of having worked: I must do some work. My work involves a lot of entertaining.

Job is countable, either the task that one is paid for: He has a job in a bank; or a task that one does or may do: It's a big job and will take at least two hours. He never does any household jobs if he can help it.

7  Estimate (verb) is ‘make an informed guess’: estimate the number of pages in this book, estimate the time needed to complete a job, etc.

Calculate is ‘make an accurate assessment’: calculate how much time you have spent; calculate how many people were there.

B  We often use get in place of verbs with an underlying meaning of ‘obtain’ or ‘receive’, as in 1-4. Another common use of get is ‘succeed in hearing’, or ‘succeed in understanding’.

1 obtain  2 bought  3 fetch  4 received  5 catch/hear  6 understand

C  Tell someone something; also tell a story, tell the truth; say something (to someone); also say prayers, say goodbye.

1 tell  2 telling  3 say  4 say  5 tell  6 said  7 tell

D  Make = originate, create; do = complete (a task):

1 made  2 do  3 do  4 made  5 made  6 made  7 do

E

1  You can see at a glance that nothing has been done for weeks.

2  There are at least thirty people still missing after the floods.

3  We may miss the next bus, but at any rate we'll be there before midday.

4  They had to move house as quickly as possible, even if it meant selling at a loss.

5  When the auctioneer came, he offered to buy the vase straight away at sight.

6  No more than five people may be carried in this lift at a time.

Repetition drill

The impatient motorist

Chorus, group or individual repetition

To elicit  Type 2 conditional statements involving the use of if it weren't for to express frustrated wishes.

T: Drill 2. The impatient motorist. This is the situation. Listen. Do not speak. A motorist is driving

home in heavy traffic. He is angry and impatient. He is complaining to his wife who is sitting beside

him. This is how their conversation begins:

(1)  T: All this traffic! I'll never get home by the children's bedtime.

S: If it weren't for all this traffic, you'd be able to get home by the children's bedtime.

(2)  T: Look at that lorry! I can't go faster.

S: If it weren't for that lorry, you'd be able to go faster.

(3)  T: This road's so narrow! It's impossible to overtake.

S: If the road weren't so narrow, you'd be able to overtake.

T: Now you do the same. Ready?

1  As in (1) above.

2  As in (2) above.

3  As in (3) above.

4  T : Darn this appalling road surface! I can't do more than fifteen miles an hour.

S: If it weren't for this appalling road surface, you'd be able to do more than fifteen milesan hour.

5  T: Just look at that great bus in front! How am I supposed to see ahead?

S: If it weren't for that great bus in front, you'd be able to see ahead.

6  T: All this traffic noise! It's hard to hear what you're saying.

S: If it weren't for all this traffic noise, you'd be able to hear what I'm saying.

7  T: Now look at those traffic lights! I can't move forward.

S: If it weren't for all those traffic lights, you'd be able to move forward.

8  T: Oh no! That's a police car! I can't break the speed limit.

S: If it weren't for that police car, you'd be able to break the speed limit.

9  T: That stupid woman in the middle of the road! I can't get past her.

S: If it weren't for that stupid woman in the middle of the road, you'd be able to get past her.

10  T: That idiotic motor-cyclist! I can't overtake.

S: If it weren't for that idiotic motor-cyclist, you'd be able to overtake.

11  T: Look at this terrible rain! I can't see where I'm going.

S: If it weren't for this terrible rain, you'd be able to see where you're going.

12  T: Darn this wet road! I can't stop the car!

S: If it weren't for this wet road, you'd be able to stop the car.

(We hear the screeching of brakes, followed by a loud crash. )

Key to Multiple choice questions

1B               2c             3B            4d                  5c

6a                7c             8a            9a                  10d

11B              12c
The courtier's,soldier's,scholar's,eye,tongue,sword;The expectancy and rose of the fair state,The glass of fashion and the mould of form,The observ'd of all observers,
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:54 | 只看该作者

Lesson 3 Matterhorn man马特霍恩山区人,, ,,Fir

Lesson 3 Matterhorn man马特霍恩山区人

听录音,然后回答以下问题。

What was the main objective of early mountain climbers?

Modern alpinists try to climb mountains by a route which will give them good sport, and the more difficult it is, the more highly it is regarded.In the pioneering days, however, this was not the case at all.The early climbers were looking for the easiest way to the top, because the summit was the prize they sought,especially if it had never been attained before.It is true that during their explorations they often faced difficulties and dangers of the most perilous nature, equipped in a manner which would make a modern climber shudder at the thought, but they did not go out of their way to court such excitement.They had a single aim, a solitary goal----the top!

It is hard for us to realize nowadays how difficult it was for the pioneers.Except for one or two places such as Zermatt and Chamonix, which had rapidly become popular,  Alpine villages tended to be impoverished settlements cut off from civilization by the high mountains.Such inns as there were were generally dirty and flea-ridden; the food simply local cheese accompanied by bread often twelve months old, all washed down with coarse wine.Often a valley boasted no inn at all, and climbers found shelter wherever they could----sometimes with the local priest (who was usually as poor as his parishioners), sometimes with shepherds or cheese-makers.Invariably the background was the same: dirt and poverty, and very uncomfortable.For men accustomed to eating seven-course dinners and sleeping between fine linen sheets at home, the change to the Alps must have been very hard indeed.

WALTER UNSWORTH Matterhorn Man

Matterhorn(title)/'m$t+h&:n/ n.马特霍恩峰(阿尔卑斯山峰之一,在意大利和瑞士边境)

solitary(1.6)/'s&lrt+ri/adj.唯一的

impoverish(11.9-10)/$m'p&v+rM/v.使贫困

alpinist(1.1)/'$lpinist/n.登山运动员

Alpine(1.9)/$lpain/adj.阿尔卑斯山的

pioneer(1.2)/?pai+'n+/ v.开辟,倡导;n.先锋,开辟者

flea-ridden(1.11)/'fli:ridn/ adj.布满跳蚤的

coarse(1.12)/k&:s/adj.粗劣的

summit(1.3)/'s)mit/ n.顶峰

boast(1.12)/b+ust/v.自恃有

attain(1.4)/+'tein/ v.到达

parishioner(1.13)/p+riM+n+/n.教区居民

perilous(1.5)/'peril+s/adj.危险的

shepherd(1.14)/'Mep+d/n.牧羊人

shudder (1.5)/'M)d+/ v.不寒而栗

linen(1.15)/'linin/n.亚麻布床单

court(1.6)/k&:t/v.追求

the Alps(1.16)/$lps/ n.阿尔卑斯山脉

Notes on the text  课文注释

1  in the pioneering  days,在初创时期;这里指登山运动的初创期。

2  equipped in a manner which would make a modern climber shudder at the thought, 他们的装备如此简陋,足以使现代登山者一想起来就胆战心惊。at the thought,一想到(他们的装备),英文中省略了 of me manner.

3  go out of one's way,特地;不怕麻烦。

4  cut off…from…,把……与……隔绝。

5  such inns as there were, 那里有的小客栈,as there were用来修饰inns,作定语。

6  the food simply local cheese, 在food后面省略了was。

参考译文

现代登山运动员总想找一条能够给他们带来运动乐趣的路线来攀登山峰。他们认为,道路愈艰险愈带劲儿。然而,在登山运动的初期,全然不是这种情况。早期登山者所寻找的是通往山顶的最方便的途径,因为顶峰——特别是前人未曾到过的顶峰——才是他们寻求的目标。确实,在探险中他们经常遇到惊心动魄的困难和危险,而他们装备之简陋足以使现代登山者一想起来就胆战心惊。但是,他们并非故意寻求这种刺激,他们只有一个目的,唯一的目标——顶峰!

我们今天很难想像昔日的登山先驱们是多么艰苦。除了泽曼特和夏蒙尼等一两个很快出了名的地方外,阿尔卑斯山山区的小村几乎全是高山环抱、与世隔绝的穷乡僻壤。那里的小客栈一般都很肮脏,而且跳蚤猖獗。食物是当地的干酪和通常存放了一年之久的面包,人们就着劣质酒吞下这种食物。山谷里常常没有小客栈,登山者只好随遇而安。有时同当地牧师(他通常和他的教民一样穷)住在一起,有时同牧羊人或制乳酪的人住在一起。无论住在哪儿,情况都一样:肮脏、贫穷,极其不舒适。对于过惯了一顿饭吃7道菜、睡亚麻细布床单的人来说,变换一下生活环境来到阿尔卑斯山山区,那一定是很艰难的。

Comprehension  理解

Give short answers to these questions in your own words as far as possible.Use one complete sentence for each answer.

1  In what way does the modern climber's attitude towards mountains differ from that of the pioneer?

2  Name three factors which made most Alpine villages inhospitable places.

Vocabulary  词汇

Refer to the text to see how the following words have been used, then write sentences of your own using these words: route (1.1); regarded (1.2); summit (1.3); sought (1.3); faced (1.4); perilous (1.5); shudder (1.5); court (1.6);solitary (1.6); coarse (1.12); boasted (1.12); invariably (1.14).

Sentence structure句子结构

A  Combine the following statements to make complete sentences.Add conjunctions of your own and omit the words or phrases in italics.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

1  It is true that during their explorations they often faced difficulties.They often faced dangers of the most perilous nature.They were equipped in a manner which would make a modern climber shudder at the thought.They did not go out of their way to court such excitement.(11.4-6)

2  One or two places such as Zermatt and Chamonix had rapidly become popular.Alpine villages tended to be impoverished settlements.They were cut off from civilization by high mountains.(11.8-10)

3  Often a valley boasted no inn at all.Climbers found shelter wherever they could.They sometimes found .shelter with the local priest.(He was usually as poor as his parishioners.) They sometimes found shelter with shepherds or cheese-makers.(11.12-14)

B  Write three sentences saying why you like or dislike mountaineering.

Key structures

A  Study the form of these sentences:

The more difficult it is, the more highly it is regarded.(11.1-2)

The quicker you work, the sooner you will finish.

Write sentences using the following words:

1  The more ____ the less ____.

2  The more ____ the worse ____.

3  The sooner ____ the better ____.

B  Give the correct form of the verbs in parentheses in the paragraph below.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

Modern alpinists try to climb mountains by a route which will give them good sport, and the more difficult it is, the more highly it is regarded.In the pioneering days, however, this ____ (be) not the case at all.The early climbers ____ (look) for the easiest way to the top because the summit ____ (be) the prize they ____ (seek), especially if it ____ (never attain) before.It is true that during their explorations they often ____ (face) difficulties and dangers of the most perilous nature, equipped in a manner which ____ (make) a modern climber shudder at the thought, but they ____ (not go) out of their way to court such excitement.They ____ (have) a single aim, a solitary goal----the top! (11.1-7)

C  Note the position of the word often in these sentences:

They often faced difficulties and dangers.(11.4-5)

The food (was) simply local cheese accompanied by bread (which was) often twelve months old.(11.11-12)

Often a valley boasted no inn at all.(1.12)

In the following sentences, the word often can be placed in two or more different positions.Indicate the correct positions in each sentence:

1  I am in such a hurry, I don't have time for breakfast.

2  We buy things we don't really need.

3  He is sent abroad by his firm.

It is hard for us to realize…how difficult it was… (1.8)

It is hard to realize how difficult it was.

Complete the following sentences:

1  It was impossible for them ____.

2  It is difficult ____.

3  It is easy for you ____.

E  Note the use of such in these two sentences:

They did not go out of their way to court such excitement.(1.6)

Such inns as there were were generally dirty.(11.10-11)

Write sentences using the following phrases:

such requests; such freedom; such difficulty; such films.

F  Note the form of the verb in italics:

For men accustomed to eating seven-course dinners… (1.15)

Complete the following using a verb after each phrase:

1  I am used to ____.

2  Do you object to my ____?

3  I am looking forward to ____.

Special difficulties  难点

A  Study the following pairs of words and then write sentences of your own to bring out the difference.

1  case (1.2)----situation

Do you know the date of the last recorded case of smallpox?

The waiter brought me the bill and I didn't have enough money.I'd never been in such a situation before.

2  especially (11.3-4)----specially

I think you'll find this article especially interesting.

I've had this area specially designed as a herb garden.

3  realize (1.8)----understand

I hope you realize that you're making a big mistake.

I don't think I understand the meaning of the sentence.

4  except for (1.8)----except

Except for one old lady, the bus was empty.

You can have any of the cakes except this one.

5  coarse (1.12)----course

He wore an old jacket made of coarse cloth.

In a French household, soup is generally the first course of the main meal of the day.

6  home (1.16)----house

When I'm abroad, my thoughts are never far from home.

They live in a large house.

B  Explain the meaning of the phrases in italics:

1  They did not go out of their way to court such excitement.(1.6)

2  Please ask him to get out of the way; I can't get past.

3  We bought a beautiful out-of-the-way cottage, miles from anywhere.

4  Please move that table.Can't you see it's in the way?

5  I'll call in and see you on my way home from work.

6  We must do this exercise in the way we have been taught.

Comprehension  理解

1  Modern climbers differ from their predecessors because they _____.

a.like to find the easiest way to the top of a mountain

b.like sport

c.prefer difficult climbs to easy ones

d.always follow a particular route

2  It is probably true to say that modern climbers ____.

a.enjoy testing themselves on difficult climbs

b.avoid dangerous situations

c.are not as well equipped as earlier climbers

d.are only interested in getting to the top of a mountain

3  The pioneers had a hard time because ____.

a.Zermatt and Chamonix had rapidly become popular

b.Alpine villages were primitive

c.the mountains were extremely high

d.there wasn't anything to eat

4  It is probably true to say that early climbers _____.

a.had seven course dinners when they were climbing

b.didn't mind uncomfortable conditions

c.always found accommodation with the local priest

d.enjoyed a higher standard of living back home

Structure  句型

5  Earlier climbers liked summits _____ had never been climbed before.(11.2-4)

a.which

b.which they

c.that they

d.unless they

6  ____ single aim was getting to the top.(11.6-7)

a.They're

b.There

c.Their

d.Theirs

7  _____ Zermatt and Chamonix, most places were unknown.(11.8-9)

a.Except

b.Unless

c.Without

d.Apart from

8  _____ were generally dirty and flea-ridden.(11.10-11)

a.The few inns that existed

b.Inns like this

c.Such inns

d.Few inns

Vocabulary  词汇

9  In the pioneering days this was not the ______ at all.(1.2)

a.condition

b.situation

c.history

d.event

10  They often faced difficulties of the most ____ nature.(11.4-5)

a.dangerous

b.dreadful

c.extreme

d.pitiful

11  -all washed down with _____wine.(1.12)

a.course

b.sour

c.rough

d.new

12  Often a valley ______ no inn at all.(1.12)

a.was proud of

b.advertised

c.showed

d.possessed
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:55 | 只看该作者

Lesson 3 Matterhorn man,, ,,Listening compre

Lesson 3 Matterhorn  man

Listening comprehension

1  Introduce the text

T: Today we'll talk about the first people to climb mountains as a sport in the Swiss Alps.

2  Understand the topic

3  Listening objective

T: Listen to the text (or read it silently) and see if you can answer this question:

What was the main objective of early mountain climbers?

4  Play the tape or read the text or wait for the students to finish reading silently

5  Answer the question

After the reading, ask the question again: What was the main objective of early mountain climbers?

Train the students not to shout out the answer. Instead, ask one student, then ask the others to agree or disagree with a show of hands.

Answer: To get to the top by the easiest route. (ll. 2-3)

6  Intensive reading

Play the tape or read the text again, pausing after every sentence to check the students understand.

Obtain brief explanations to difficulties in the text from the students themselves. Only use Chinese if a confirmatory translation is necessary.

8  Reading aloud

Comprehension questions

1  What is the Matterhorn? (It's a mountain in Switzerland.)

2  What route do modern alpinists try to climb mountains by? (One which will give them good sport.)

3  What is the advantage of a difficult route? (It is more highly regarded.)

4  Was this always the case? (No, it wasn't.)

5  When was this not the case? (In the pioneering days.)

6  What were the early climbers looking for? (The easiest way to the top.)

7  What was the prize they sought? (The summit.)

8  Which summits were more highly regarded? (Ones (or Summits) that had never been attained before.)

9  What did they often face during their explorations? (Difficulties and dangers of the most perilous nature.)

10  How were these early climbers equipped? (In a manner which would make a modern climber shudder at the thought.)

11  Did they have more than one aim? (No, they didn't.)

12  Is it easy for us nowadays to realize how difficult it was for the pioneers? (No, it isn't.)

13  What did most Alpine villages tend to be like in those days? (They tended to be impoverished settlements, cut off from civilization by high mountains.)

14  Were there any exceptions? (Yes, there were. Zermatt and Chamonix.)  

15  What were the inns like? (Generally dirty and flea-ridden.)

16  What kind of food was there? (Local cheese and bread that was often twelve months old.)

17  What did climbers do when a valley boasted no inn at all? (They found shelter wherever they could.)

18  What was the local priest's situation like, compared with his parishioners'? (He was usually as poor as they were.)

19  What was the accommodation like among these people? (Invariably dirty, poor and very uncomfortable.)

20  How did these alpinists live at home? (They ate seven-course dinners and slept between fine linen sheets.)

21  How must they have found the change to the Alps? (They must have found it very hard indeed.)

T: Ask me if modern alpinists try to climb mountains by an easy route.

S: Do modern alpinists try to climb mountains by an easy route?

T: What kind of …?

S : What kind of route do modern alpinists try to climb mountains by?

1  modern alpinists try to climb mountains by an easy route. (What kind of…)

2  a more difficult route is more highly regarded. (How)

3  this was not the case in the pioneering days. (When)

4  the early climbers were looking for the easiest way to the top. (What)

5  the summit was the prize they sought. (What )

6  they faced difficulties and dangers during their explorations. (When)

7  they were equipped in a way that would make a modern climber shudder at the thought. (How)

8  they went out of their way to court excitement. (Why didn't)

9  it is hard for us to realize how difficult it was for the pioneers. (Why)

10  Zermatt and Chamonix had rapidly become popular. (Which places )

11  Alpine villages tended to be impoverished settlements. (What… like)

12  most inns were generally dirty and flea-ridden. (What … like)

13  the bread was often twelve months old. (How old)

14  climbers often found shelter with poor priests or shepherds. (Where )

15  these men must have found the Alps hard. (Why)

Reconstruct the text

1  Modern alpinists ---- climb mountains ---- route ---- give good sport, ---- more difficult ---- more highly regarded.

2  In pioneering days ---- not the case. Early climbers ---- look for easiest way to top ---- because summit ----prize sought ---- especially if never attained before.

3  True ---- during explorations ---- faced difficulties and dangers ---- most perilous nature ---- equipped in manner ---- make modem climber shudder at thought, ---- but not go out of way ---- court excitement.

4  Single aim ---- solitary goal ---- top!

5  Hard ---- realize nowadays ---- how difficult ---- pioneers.

6  Except for ---- places ---- Zermatt and Chamonix, ---- rapidly become popular, ---- Alpine villages tend ---- impoverished settlements ---- cut off from civilization ---- high mountains.

7  Such inns as were ---- generally dirty and flea-ridden; ---- food local cheese ---- bread often twelve months old ---- wash down ---- coarse wine.

8  Often valley boast no inn at all ---- climbers find shelter wherever could ---- sometimes local priest (usually poor as parishioners), ---- sometimes shepherds and cheese-makers.

9  Invariably background ---- same: ---- dirt ---- poverty ---- very uncomfortable.

10  For men accustomed ---- eat seven-course dinners ---- sleep ---- fine linen sheets at home ---- change to Alps ---- very hard indeed.

Topics for discussion

1  Have you ever been up any mountains? If so, which/where/when? If you were climbing a mountain, would you prefer the easiest route to the top, or a more difficult route that would impress other people?

2  Do you know any villages that are particularly remote and poor? If so, where are they and what are they like?

3  Do you believe that tourists should stay away from villages that are too poor to house them'? What effects ---- good or bad ---- do you think tourism has on people in developing parts of the world?

Key to Comprehension

Possible answers

1  The modern climber's attitude differs from that of the pioneer, in that the modern climber wants a route that will give him good sport, whereas the pioneer was only interested in getting to the top by the easiest route.

2  The three factors that made most Alpine villages inhospitable places were poverty, dirt and discomfort.

Key to Vocabulary A possible answer

Chris Bonnington was the first person ever to reach the summit of the Eiger by a route that included the sheer North Face.

The chance to become well-educated is widely regarded as being the best opportunity a person can have.

Sir Edmund Hilary and Tenzing Norgay reached the summit of Mount Everest on May 29, 1952.

Various experts have sought an explanation for the strange lights seen occasionally in the sky in Western Scotland, but so far without success.

The prisoner faced her accusers in court with confidence.

Without her engines, and drifting towards the rocky shore, the ship was in an increasingly perilous situation.

How is it that one nation will delight in eating delicacies that make another nation shudder?

Using a chain-saw without proper training and protective clothing is courting disaster.

This cup is the solitary survivor of my grandmother's set of twelve.

The wool from Herdwick sheep, a hardy mountain breed, is so coarse, it is mainly used for carpet-making.

The village had once boasted a school and a small general shop, but these had disappeared when the new road was built.

Friday is invariably the busiest day of the week on the roads.

A  See text.

B

A possible answer

I like mountaineering because I enjoy the space, the fresh air and the exercise.

One problem with so many people taking up mountaineering is that the paths up popular mountains are becoming as wide as roads, and erosion is scarring the mountainsides.

The experience of reaching the top of a high mountain and looking at the view for miles around is one of the best sensations in the world.

Key to KS Exercises

A  We can use either adjectives or adverbs in the construction the + comparative + the + comparative to express cause and effect: when one condition is fulfilled, a given result follows.

A possible answer

1  The more expensive petrol becomes, the less people drive.

2  The more you try to explain, the worse your situation becomes.

3  The sooner I finish this job, the better I shall feel.

B  See text.

C  The rule for the normal position of often (and other adverbs of indefinite frequency) is ‘after an auxiliary or before a full verb’. This means:

---- after the subject in questions: Is he often impatient?

---- after be when it is the only verb in a sentence: He is often impatient. (The exception is when be is echoing a previous verb, as in short answers: Yes, he often is.)

---- after the first auxiliary verb when there is more than one verb: He will often be working late.

---- before the main verb when there is only one verb: He often made rash decisions.

---- before used to and have to: I often used to/had to work late.

But often can come before the auxiliary if we wish to put special stress on the verb: He often will be working late. And in questions and negatives, often can come at the end of a clause, post modifying the entire subject-and-verb phrase: Have you been there often? I haven't thought about it often. The end position is also possible, though less usual, in affirmatives, in which the effect is the same, post modifying the entire statement: I think about you often. Especially if we combine it with an adverb such as most or very ,often can also come at the beginning of the sentence: (Most) often, I just have a sandwich for lunch.

This order is characteristic of relaxed conversation, and the position indicates that often applies to the whole of what follows.

1  (Often) I am (often) in such a hurry (often), I (often) don't (often) have time for breakfast (often).

2  We (often) buy things we (often) don't really need (often).

3  He is (often) sent abroad (often) by his firm (often).

D  Many adjectives, hard, difficult, impossible, easy, etc., can be followed by to-infinitives, and these adjectives enter easily into the pattern: It + be + adjective (+ for noun/pronoun) + to-infinitive: It is hard (for us) to realize … In such sentences, the true subject is the infinitive phrase (For us) to realize…, but this is stylistically unacceptable in English, so we use It as a preparatory subject instead, pushing the infinitive phrase to a position after the verb. In general statements, and when it is obvious who the infinitive refers to, we can omit the for + noun/pronoun.  

1  It was impossible for them to avoid getting wet.

2  It is difficult to say the right thing when people are grieving.

3  It is easy for you to be cheerful about it, but it was my money.

E  Such combines with plural countable nouns: such requests, and with uncountable nouns: such freedom, and means ‘like this/like these’. Such + noun + as could be replaced by noun + like this/these that … .

1  I always find it impossible to refuse such requests.

2  Such freedom must be balanced by personal responsibility.

3  I had not expected to encounter such difficulty.

4  Such films as were completed at that time were interesting only in terms of photographic technique.

F  In accustomed to, used to, object to and look forward to, to is a preposition (not park of a to-infinitive), and so is followed by an object, i.e. a noun, a pronoun or a gerund (or ‘-ing form’). If the object is a gerund, we use a possessive form (my, your, etc. ) to indicate the person doing the action.

1  I am used to the baby's waking me in the middle of the night.

2  Do you object to my opening the window for a little while?

3  I am looking forward to seeing you on the 23rd.

Special difficulties

A

1  Situation means ‘position’: In your situation, I would have done exactly as you did.

Case means ‘a particular instance’: In a case like this one, the court usually awards custody to the mother.

2  We do not use either specially or especially at the beginning of a sentence. To express ‘more than usually’, either word is possible: I think you'll find this article specially/especially interesting. But specially, not ‘especially’ to mean ‘for a particular purpose’: I had this desk specially made to suit my height. And especially, not ‘specially’ to mean ‘in particular’: I (especially) wanted to see that production of‘Taking Sides’ (especially).

3  Realize means ‘become aware of’: I realized at once what you meant; or ‘be aware of’: I don 't think you realize the seriousness of your situation.

Understand means‘comprehend’: I understand what you mean.

In these meanings, both verbs are usually stative, and thus are not usually used in progressive (or ‘continuous’) tenses.

4  Both except and except for mean ‘with the exception of’, and are used especially after every/any/nocom pounds: Everyone except (for) you has already signed the photo. Only except for can be used at the beginning of a sentence: Except for last year's party, the summer party has always been out of doors.

And only except in front of a prepositional phrase: Except in his first job, he had always enjoyed what he did.

5  We pronounce both coarse and course in exactly the same way.

Coarse means ‘rough’, ‘not fine’: coarse salt, coarsely-chopped onion, coarse speech, a coarse joke.

We use course to refer to a phase in a meal: the first course, the meat course, a sweet course, etc.

Course also means‘pathway’ or ‘direction’: the course we have followed; a racecourse; the course of a river; or it means ‘a series of lessons’: I've signed up for a course in navigation.

6  A house is a building for one family to live in. (Buildings divided up into flats for more than one family are known as ‘blocks of flats’ or ‘apartment blocks’, not ‘houses’.) Their house is only five minutes from the station. A house or flat becomes a home when you refer to it as the place you live in: Are you going home now? Is your father at home? or the place you belong to: Home is where the heart is.

B

Possible answers

1  They did not make any special effort to court such excitement .

2  Please ask him to move to where he will not cause an obstruction .

3  The cottage was remote from the main thoroughfares.

4  The table is inconveniently located.

5  I'll call in when I am passing from one place to the other.

6  We must do this exercise as/in the manner we have been taught.

Repetition drill

It depends what you are looking for  

To elicit  statements involving the use of the + comparative … + the better to express a preference.

T: Drill 3. It depends what you are looking for. This is the situation. Listen. Do not speak.

Mr. Bellamy is a businessman. He needs a new secretary and has gone to a personnel agency. Miss Swain, the director of the agency, is trying to find out what sort of person

Mr. Bellamy wants. This is how their conversation begins:

(1)  T: Well, Mr. Bellamy. This new secretary you want. Say she isn't very tidy?

S : Oh, she must be tidy. The tidier she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

(2)  T : And what if she doesn't work very hard?

S: Oh, she must work hard. The harder she works the better, as far as I'm concerned.

(3)  T : Well, let's suppose she isn't very intelligent?

S: Oh, she must be intelligent, the more intelligent she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

T: Now you answer the questions in the same way. Ready?

1  As in (1) above.

2  As in (2) above.

3  As in (3) above.

4  T : Say she isn't very efficient?

S: Oh, she must be efficient. The more efficient she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

5  T : Say she isn't terribly interesting?

S : Oh, she must be interesting. The more interesting she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

6  T : Well, what if she isn't very polite'?

S : Oh, she must be polite. The more polite she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

7  T : Let's suppose she doesn't type very fast?

S : Oh, she must type fast. The faster she types the better, as far as I'm concerned.

8  T : And say she can't start soon?

S : Oh, she must start soon. The sooner she starts the better, as far as I'm concerned.

9  T : Well, let's suppose she isn't very experienced?

S: Oh, she must be experienced. The more experienced she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

10  T : Say she isn't very young?

S : Oh, she must be young. The younger she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

11  T : And say she isn't very good-looking?

S : Oh, she must be good-looking. The more good-looking she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

12  T : What if she isn't terribly elegant?

S : Oh, she must be elegant. The more elegant she is the better, as far as I'm concerned.

T: You aren't paying enough, Mr. Bellamy. The only way such an angel would work for you is if you were lucky enough to make her your wife.

1 c             2 a              3 B            4 d              5 a

6 c             7 d              8 a             9 B              10 a

11 c           12 d
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:58 | 只看该作者

Lesson 4 Seeing hands 能看见东西的手,, ,,Fir

Lesson 4  Seeing hands 能看见东西的手

听录音,然后回答以下问题。

How did Vera discover she had this gift of second sight?

Several cases have been reported in Russia recently of people who can read and detect colours with their fingers, and even see through solid doors and walls.One case concerns an eleven-year-old schoolgirl, Vera Petrova, who has normal vision but who can also perceive things with different parts of her skin, and through solid walls.This ability was first noticed by her father.One day she came into his office and happened to put 5  her hands on the door of a locked safe.Suddenly she asked her father why he kept so many old newspapers locked away there, and even described the way they were done up in bundles.

Vera 's curious talent was brought to the notice of a scientific research institute in the town of Ulyanovsk, near where she lives, and in April she was given a series of tests by a special commission of the Ministry ofHealth of the Russian Federal Republic.During these tests she was able to read a newspaper through an 10 opaque screen and, stranger still, by moving her elbow over a child's game of Lotto she was able to describe the figures and colours printed on it; and, in another instance, wearing stockings and slippers, to make out with her foot the outlines and colours of a picture hidden under a carpet.Other experiments showed that her knees and shoulders had a similar sensitivity.During all these tests Vera was blindfold; and, indeed, except when blindfold she lacked the ability to perceive things with her skin.It was also found that although she 15  could perceive things with her fingers this ability ceased the moment her hands were wet.

ERIC DE MAUNY Seeing hands from The Listener

solid(1.2)/'s&lid/ adj.坚实的

lotto(1.10)/&'ltu/ n.一种有编号的纸牌

safe(1.5)/seif/ n.保险柜

slipper(1.11)/'slip+/ n.拖鞋

Ulyanovsk(1.7)/u:lj%:n&:fsk/n.乌里扬诺夫斯克

blindfold(1.13)/'blaindf+uld/ adj.& adv.被蒙上眼

commission(1.8)/k+'miM+n/n.委员会   睛的

opaque(1.10)/+u'pek/ adj.不透明的

Notes on the text  课文注释

1  of people who can read…,这个定语从句用来修饰主语cases,由于太长,因此被移至谓语之后。

2  through solid walls 与 with different parts of her skin 并列,作 perceive 的状语。

3  lock something away,把……锁藏起来。

4  do up,引起捆,包

5  bring … to the notice of,引起某人注意。

6  except when blindfold,其中 when之后省略了 she was。

7  the moment her hands were wet,这是一个时间状语从句,the moment有“一……就……”的意思。

参考译文

俄罗斯最近报导了几个事例,有人能用手指看书识字和辨认颜色,甚至能透过厚实的门和墙看到东西。其中有一例谈到有一个名叫维拉·彼托洛娃的11岁女学生。她的视力与常人一样,但她还能用皮肤的不同部位辨认东西,甚至看穿坚实的墙壁。是她父亲首先发现她这一功能的。一天,维拉走进父亲的办公室,偶然把手放在一个锁着的保险柜的门上,她突然问父亲为什么把这么多的旧报纸锁在柜子里,还说了报纸捆扎的情况。

维拉的特异功能引起了她家附近乌里扬诺夫斯克城一个科研单位的注意。4月里,俄罗斯卫生部的一个特别委员会对她进行了一系列的测试。在这些测试中,她能隔着不透明的屏幕读报纸。更为奇怪的是,她把肘部在儿童玩的“罗托”纸牌上移动一下,便能说出印在纸牌上的数字和颜色。还有一次,她穿着长筒袜子和拖鞋,能用脚识别出藏在地毯下面的一幅画的轮廓和颜色。其他实验表明,她的膝盖和双肩有类似的感觉能力,在所有这些实验中,维拉的双眼都是蒙着的。如果不蒙上双眼她的皮肤就不再具有识别物体的能力。这是千真万确的。同时还发现,尽管她能用手指识别东西,但她的手一旦弄湿,这种功能便会立即消失。

Comprehension  理解

Give short answers to these questions in your own words as far as possibe.Use one complete sentence for each answer.

1  How did Vera 's father accidentally discover that his daughter possessed unusual powers of perception?

2  Under what conditions was Vera incapable of perceiving objects with her skin?

3  Under what conditions did Vera lose the ability to perceive objects with her fingers?

Vocabulary  词汇

Refer to the text to see how the following words have been used, then write sentences of your own using these words: several(1.1); detect(1.1); vision(1.3); perceive(1.3); curious(1.7);   series(1.8); outlines(1.12); a similar(1.13);ceased(1.15).

Sentence structure  句子结构

A  Supply the missing words in the following sentences.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

1  Several cases have been reported in Russia recently of people ___ can read ______ detect colours with their fingers, __________ even see through solid doors and walls.One case concerns an eleven-year-old schoolgirl, Vera Petrova, ____ has normal vision _____ _______ can also perceive things with different parts of her skin, __________ through solid walls.(11.1-4)

2  It was also found that ______ she could perceive things with her fingers, this ability ceased ______________her hands were wet.(11.14-15)

B  Complete these sentences in any way you wish.Then compare what you have written with the sentences in the passage:

1  One day she came into his office and _________.(11.4-5)

2  Suddenly she asked her father why _________.(11.5-6)

3  Vera 's curious talent was ________.(1.7)

4  During these tests she ________.(1.9)

5  It was also found that ________.(11.14-15)

C  Write three sentences describing Vera 's unusual abilities.

Key structures  关键句型

A  Supply the correct form of the verbs in parentheses.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

1  Several cases _________ (report) in Russia recently of people who can read and detect colours with their fingers.(11.1-2)

2  This ability first _______ (notice) by her father.(1.4)

3  Vera 's curious talent _______ (bring) to the notice of a scientific research institute in the town of Ulyanovsk, near where she lives, and in April she ________ (give) a series of tests by a special commission of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federal Republic.(11.7-9)

4  It also ______ (find) that although she ______ (can) perceive things with her fingers, this ability ______ (cease) the moment her hands _____ (be) wet.(11.14-15)

B  Compare the word order in these two sentences:

Why did he keep so many old newspapers locked away there?

She asked her father why he kept so many old newspapers locked away there.(11.5-6)

Write these sentences again, beginning each one with the words 1  asked him:

1  When did he buy that car?

2  Where did he find that book?

3  Why did he send a fax?

4  How did he know I was here?

5  Which one did he like best?

C  Note the form of the verb in italics in this sentence:

By moving her elbow over a child's game of Lotto she was able to describe the figures and colours printed on it.(11.10-11)

Supply the correct form of the verbs in parentheses:

1  He can walk for miles without ________ (get) tired.

2  On ____ (arrive) at the station, I went and bought a ticket.

3  While ________ (try) to climb over that wall, he fell down and broke his leg.

4  You will never succeed in _______ (persuade) me to come with you.

Instead of saying: She was able to describe the colours and figures printed on it.(11.9-10)

We can say: She succeeded in describing the colours and figures printed on it.

Supply could or was able to in the following sentences:

1  I ________ easily swim across this river if I wanted to.

2  He ________ run a mile in five minutes when he was younger.

3  Amundsen ______ reach the South Pole before Scott.

4  I rang up several times before I ______ contact him.

5  I ______ get these tickets because I was willing to stand in the queue for several hours.

Special difficulties  难点

1  normal (1.3) ---- ordinary

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a normal kettle.

I'm just an ordinary person.

2  skin (1.3) ---- complexion

I got so sunburnt that my skin is peeling.

Drinking a lot of water is good for the complexion.

3  noticed (1.4) ---- remarked

I've noticed that there are more butterflies this year.

‘You're looking very well!’she remarked.

4  office (1.4) ---- study

Reuters is a big news agency with offices all over the world.

I'll have a bigger study in my new apartment.

5  game (1.10) ---- toy

Let's play a game.of hide-and-seek.

Alice got a new toy for her birthday.

6  lack (1.14) ---- need

His real problem is that he lacks confidence.

We need an hour to get to the airport.

7  wet (1.15) ---- damp

Don't sit on that bench.The paint is still wet.

You shouldn't wear that shirt if it's still damp.

B  Explain the expressions in italics:

1  The newspapers were done up in bundles.(1.6)

2  It's too late to save him now.He's done for.

3  She'll never go back to her husband.She's done with him for good.

4  This room looks lovely now that we've done it up.

5  I wouldn't trust him if I were you.He once did me out of a lot of money.

C  Explain the word figure in these sentences:

1  By moving her elbow over a child's game of Lotto she was able to describe the figures and colours printed on it.(11.10-11)

2  I could make out the figure of a man on the bridge.

3  She has such a beautiful figure, she could make a living as a model, I'm sure.

D Explain the expressions with make in these sentences:

1  She was able to make out with her foot the outlines and colours of a picture.(11.10-12)

2  The thief made off with quite a lot of money.

3  He's a strange fellow.I just can't make him out.

4  Before he died, he made over all his money to his wife.

5  Are you any good at making up stories for children?

Comprehension 理解

1  Solid doors and walls are _____.

a.no obstacle for people who can read and detect colours with their fingers

b.invisible to people who can read and detect colours with their fingers

c.transparent to people who can read and detect colours with their fingers

d.concerned in cases reported in Russia recently

2  Vera Petrova's father _____.

a.had always known his daughter had this talent

b.found that his daughter could perceive things with different parts of her skin

c.discovered his daughter's gift by accident

d.described the way newspapers were done up in bundles

3  The scientific research institute in the town of Ulyanovsk ______.

a.made Vera read a newspaper

b.arranged that Vera.should undergo a number of experiments

c.tested Vera thoroughly

d.set up a game of Lotto with Vera

4  Which one of these statements is true?

a.Vera couldn't always perceive things with her skin.

b.Vera was occasionally blindfold when she did the tests.

c.Vera 's hands had to be wet before she could perceive things through her skin.

d.Vera 's knees didn't have the same sensitivity as her fingers.

Structure  句型

5  Several cases have been reported in Russia recently of people _________ can read ..(1.1)

a.whom

b.that

c.which

d.they

6  One day she came into his office and put her hands on the door of the safe _____ (1.5)

a.as it happened

b.by chance

c.perhaps

d.intentionally

7  ________ these tests were being conducted, she was able to read a newspaper.(1.9)

a.During

b.On occasion

c.While

d.As if

8  Vera couldn't ‘see* with her skin ______ she was blindfold.(11.13-14)

a.only

b.except

c.as if

d.unless

Vocabulary  词汇

9  This ability was first ____ by her father.(1.4)

a.observed

b.remarked

c.regarded

d.acknowledged

10  Vera 's curious talent was brought to the _____ of a research institute.(1.7)

a.attention

b.observation

c.regard

d.care

11  ---- wearing stockings and slippers, she was able to _____ colours with her foot.(11.11-12)

a.draw

b.see

c.understand

d.watch

12  This abilitythe moment her hands were wet.(1.15)

a.continued

b.renewed

c.increased

d.stopped
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:48 | 只看该作者

Lesson 1 Finding fossil man,, ,,Listening com

Lesson 1 Finding fossil man

Listening comprehension

1  Introduce the text

T: Today we'll talk about the methods available to us for learning about the distant past.

2  Understand the topic

3  Listening objective

Why are legends handed down by storytellers useful?

5  Answer the question

After the reading, ask the question again: Why are legends handed down by storytellers useful?

Answer: Because they tell us something about events that took place before people could write. (11.4-5)

6  Intensive reading

Play the tape or read the text again, pausing after every sentence to check the students understand. Obtain brief explanations to difficulties in the text from the students themselves. Only use Chinese if a confirmatory translation is necessary.

8  Reading aloud

Comprehension questions

1  Where did people first learn to write? (In the Near East.)

2  How long ago was that? (Five thousand years ago.)

3  Does that mean that we can read about their history? (Yes, it does.)

4  Are there still some parts of the world today where people can't write? (Yes, there are.)

5  What can such people do to preserve their history? (Recount it as sagas.)

6  What are sagas? (They are legends or stories that are handed down from one generation to another.)

7  In what way are these legends useful? (They can tell us something about the migrations of people who lived long ago.)

8  Which scientists or experts study this kind of information? (Anthropologists.)

9  What did anthropologists want to find out about the Polynesian peoples? (They wanted to find out where their remote ancestors had come from.)

10  According to their sagas, where had some of these people come from? (From Indonesia.)

11  How long ago had these migrations taken place? (About two thousand years ago.)

12  Do we know anything abut the sagas of the first people who were tike ourselves? (No, we don't.)

13  Why is this so? (Because they lived so long ago that even their sagas are (or have been) forgotten.)

14  Can archaeologists rely on history or legends to tell them about the first ‘modern men’? (No, they can't.)

15  But we do have some evidence of our remote ancestors, don't we? (Yes, we do.)

16  What sorts of things did ancient men make? (Tools of stone, especially flint.)

17  Why did they use flint? (Because it is easier to shape than other kinds of stone.)

18  Why don't we find wood and skins as well? (Because they have rotted away.)

19  What about the bones of the people who made these stone tools? (They have disappeared without trace.)

T:  Ask me if people first learned to write five thousand years ago. S : Did people first learn to write five thousand years ago?

T:  When…?

S:  When did people first learn to write?

1  people first learned to write five thousand years ago. (When)

2  there are still parts of the world where people cannot write: (How many)

3  they preserve their history by recounting sagas. (How)

4  sagas are legends handed down from one generation to another. (What)

5  these legends are useful to anthropologists. (In what way)

6  we learn something about the migrations of ancient peoples. (What… about)

7  the remote ancestors of the Polynesians came from Indonesia. (Where)

8  these migrations took place about two thousand years ago. (How long ago)

9  the sagas of the first ‘modern men’ are forgotten. (Why)

10  there is any written or spoken evidence of our remote ancestors. (Why isn't there)

11  ancient men made stone tools. (What kinds of tools)

12  they might also have used wood and skins. (What else)

Reconstruct the text

1  We read ---- things happened ---- 5,000 years ---- Near East---- first learned to write.

2  Some parts of world ---- even now ---- not write.

3  Only way ---- preserve history ---- recount as sagas ---- legends ---- handed down ---- one generation storytellers to another.

4  Legends useful ---- tell about migrations of people ---- lived long ago ---- but none ---- write down ---- what did.

5  Anthropologists wondered where ---- remote ancestors ---- Polynesian peoples ---- now living Pacific Islands came from.

6  Sagas explain ----- some of them ----- from Indonesia ---- 2,000 years ago.

7  But ---- first people ---- like ourselves ---- so long ago ---- even sagas forgotten.

8  So archaeologists ---- neither history nor legends ---- help them to find out ---- first ‘modern men’ from.

9  Fortunately---- ancient men ---- tools of stone - flint ---- because ---- easier to shape ---- other kinds.

10  May ---- used wood and skins ---- but rotted away.

11  Stone not decay ---- so tools ---- long ago ---- remain ---- bones of men ---- disappeared without trace.

Topics for discussion

1  What is the oldest piece of writing you know about? What is it about, and when was it written?

2  Describe the oldest object you have ever seen. Where was it? When was it made?

3  Do you think it is important to preserve a) stories from the past, b) old customs and traditions, c) historical buildings and artefacts ? Why?/Why not?

Key to Comprehension

Possible answers

1  Anthropologists can learn something about the history of ancient peoples who have not left written records by studying the sagas that have been handed down from one generation of storytellers to another.

2  Ancient men preferred to use flint for making tools because it is easier to shape than other kinds of stone.

Key to Vocabulary

A possible answer

In most countries, the money to preserve ancient buildings and works of art comes from tourism, but tourism can also destroy the things we seek to preserve.

The children sat in a circle while the actor recounted the story of the beginning of the world.

These days, scientists can test their theories about the migrations of early peoples by looking at the geographical distribution of particular genetic types within modern populations.

Recently, anthropologists at the British Museum presented an exhibition about the ceremonies and traditions of the Mexican Day of the Dead.

Rock and cave paintings made in the remote past have now been found in most parts of the world.

Left where they fall, dead trees gradually decay, providing a home for mushrooms and insects, so that the cycle of life begins again.

The painting was missing, and whoever had taken it had simply vanished without trace.

A possible answer

A  See text.

B  An archaeologist studies the remains left by people who lived long ago, such as their dwellings, their tools, their burials, so as to learn how and where they lived.

C

1  The earliest written records we have come from the Near East, and are about 5,000 years old.

2  For the period before written records began, we have to rely on sagas, stories handed down orally from one generation to another.

3  Stone tools which, unlike wood and skins, do not decay, also provide evidence of our remote ancestors.

Key to KS Exercises

A  We can use either a past participle construction: tools made of stone, or a relative clause: which/who(m) + be + past participle:

Tools (which were) made of stone were used for scraping and cutting.

Legends (which have been) recorded in the form of sagas provide some information about the migrations of ancient peoples.

The remains (which were) found at the back of the cave were dated to about 20,000 years before the present.

B  Say something to someone; tell someone something (not* tell to someone *)

1  say 2 told 3 say 4 tell

C  We form phrasal verbs to express where something is ‘obtained from’: verb + object + from:

Do you mind my asking where you got it from?

I bought it from a second-hand shop in South London.

D  After help + object, we can use either the infinitive with to or the bare infinitive:

Would you mind helping me to lift this box, please?

The children helped me make the tree decorations.

E  See text.

F  We use may + perfect infinitive to express possibility in the past. May have is slightly less certain than a simple past, and slightly less uncertain than might have:

1  Your mother may have called when you were out.

2  You may have left your umbrella in the waiting room.

3  He may have changed his mind.

Special difficulties

A

1  Part always refers to a part of a whole: a part of a country, a part of the world, parts of this building, etc.

Place refers to location: a place in town, a place on the shelf, places where things are kept.

2  History is an objective account of a series of events: the history of a country, a person's history, the history of our times.

A story is an account, possibly fictional or partly so, told from the teller's own point of view: a bedtime story, the story of my life.

3  Wonder = ask oneself: e.g. wonder what someone means;

wander = walk without paying attention to one's direction: e.g. wander around the house/around the town, trying to decide what to do.

4  Like (preposition) takes a direct object, which can be a noun (like this job), a pronoun (like someone ), or a noun clause (like what you do ).

As (adverb of manner or of comparison) introduces a clause and could be replaced with‘that which’:do as I say, or ‘in the way that’: think as you do.

5  Find out = learn, discover information, and is often intransitive: How did he find out/find out the truth/find out about this?

Find = come across or discover something that might be lost or not immediately available, e.g. find a missing letter, find somewhere to stay. We also use find to express an opinion based on experience: I find it hard to understand him. I find it best to say nothing.

6  Ancient = part of history, e.g. ancient manuscripts, ancient customs (and, giving exaggerated dignity to the idea of age, ancient friendships).

Old = not new, e.g. old buildings, old friendships, old injuries; and not young, e.g. old people, old age.

7  A tool is essentially an extension of the hand, and thus applies to processes that are mechanical, e.g. a cutting tool, a polishing tool, a machine tool.

An instrument is a device for non-mechanical tasks, e.g. a measuring instrument, a surgical instrument,a scientific instrument.

8  Stone is the material of which things can be built or made, e.g. building stone, stone quarry, a stone house, a stone bridge. Stone also refers to small accidental pieces of stone: a stone in my shoe, a sharp stone. Rock is the material in a state of nature: bedrock, igneous rock, a (natural) rock bridge, weathered rocks, rock cliffs. Rock also refers to a large, free-standing piece of rock, e.g. a round rock, rocks on the road.

9  Skin is the natural protective covering of a living person or thing, e.g. my skin, tiger skin, a banana skin. Leather is the material made from the cleaned, dried and processed skin of an animal such as a pig or cow, e.g. leather shoes, leather upholstery.

B

Possible answers

1  Do you happen to know where he comes from?

2  It so happens that he comes from the same town as me.

3  Can you tell me what happened at college yesterday?

Repetition drill

The forgery

To elicit statements involving the use of may + perfect infinitive to express uncertainty.

T : Drill 1. The forgery. This is the situation. Listen. Do not speak. An important art gallery recently bought a valuable painting for  £5 million. Experts now believe that the picture is a forgery. Miss West is a reporter. She is asking the Director of the gallery some questions about the picture. This is how their conversation begins:

(1)  T: Do you think the artist used photographs?

S: He may have used photographs. It's hard to tell.

(2)  T: Then perhaps he painted it in his own studio?

S: He may have painted it in his own studio. It's hard to tell.

(3)  T: Could he have copied it from the original?

S: He may have copied it from the original. It's hard to tell.

T: Now you answer the questions in the same way. Ready?

1  As in (1) above.

2  As in (2) above.

3  As in (3) above.

4  T: Well, do you think he had access to the original?

S: He may have had access to the original. It's hard to tell.

5  T: Perhaps he used an canvas.

S: He may have used an old canvas. It's hard to tell.

6  T: Or perhaps he painted over an old picture?

S: He may have painted over an old picture. It's hard to tell.

7  T: Do you think he put it in an old frame?

S: He may have put it in an old frame. It's hard to tell.

8  T: Then do you think he made the frame himself?

S: He may have made the frame himself. It's hard to tell.

9  T: I suppose he must have painted it some time ago?

S: He may have painted it some time ago. It's hard to tell.

10  T: More probably, he must have done it fairly recently?

S: He may have done it fairly recently. It's hard to tell.

11  T: I wonder if he tried to sell it privately himself?

S:He may have tried to sell it privately himself. It's hard to tell.

12  T: Do you think he tried to sell it to other galleries first?

S: He may have tried to sell it to other galleries first. It's hard to tell.

T: Well, no wonder your gallery bought it. You're supposed to be an expert, but you don't seem to know much about it, do you?

1c                          2a                   3B                  4d                 5d

6B                         7d                   8a                   9a                 10c

11a                        12b
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-4 13:50 | 只看该作者

Lesson 2 Spare that spider不要伤害蜘蛛,, ,,F

Lesson 2  Spare that spider不要伤害蜘蛛

听录音,然后回答以下问题。

How much of each year do spiders spend killing insects?

Why, you may wonder, should spiders be our friends? Because they destroy so many insects, and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race.Insects would make it impossible for us to live in the world; they would devour all our crops and kill our flocks and herds, if it were not for the protection we get from insect-eating animals.We owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects but all of them put together kill only a fraction of the number destroyed by spiders.Moreover, unlike some of the other insect eaters, spiders never do the least harm to us or our belongings.

Spiders are not insects, as many people think, nor even nearly  related to them.One can tell the difference almost at a glance, for a spider always has eight legs and an insect never more than six.

How many spiders are engaged in this work on our behalf? One authority on spiders made a census of the spiders in a grass field in the south of England, and he estimated that there were more than 2,250,000 in one acre; that is something like 6,000,000 spiders of different kinds on a football pitch.Spiders are busy for at least half the year in killing insects.It is impossible to make more than the wildest guess at how many they kill, but they are hungry creatures, not content with only three meals a day.It has been estimated that the weight of all the insects destroyed by spiders in Britain in one year would be greater than the total weight of all the human beings in the country.

T.H.GILLESPIE Spare that spider from The Listener

beast(1.4)/bi:st/n.野兽

acre(1.11)/'eik+/n.英亩

census(1.9)/'sens+s/n.统计数字

content(1.13)/k+n'tent/adj.满足的

Notes on the text  课文注释

1  you may wonder 是这个疑问句的插入语。

2  if it were not  for the protection we get from insect-eating animals,这是一个非真实条件状语从句, were表示虚拟语气。

3  almost at a glance,几乎一眼(就能看出)。

参考译文

你可能会觉得奇怪,蜘蛛怎么会是我们的朋友呢?因为它们能消灭那么多的昆虫,其中包括一些人类的大敌。要不是人类受一些食虫动物的保护,昆虫就会使我们无法在地球上生活下去,昆虫会吞食我们的全部庄稼,杀死我们的成群的牛羊。我们要十分感谢那些吃昆虫的鸟和兽,然而把它们所杀死的昆虫全部加在一起也只相当于蜘蛛所消灭的一小部分。此外,蜘蛛不同于其他食虫动物,它们丝毫不危害我们和我们的财物。

许多人认为蜘蛛是昆虫,但它们不是昆虫,甚至与昆虫毫无关系。人们几乎一眼就能看出二者的差异,因为蜘蛛都是8条腿,而昆虫的腿从不超过6条。

有多少蜘蛛在为我们效力呢?一位研究蜘蛛的权威对英国南部一块草坪上的蜘蛛作了一次调查。他估计每英亩草坪里有225万多只蜘蛛。这就是说,在一个足球场上约有600万只不同种类的蜘蛛。蜘蛛至少有半年忙于吃昆虫。它们一年中消灭了多少昆虫,我们简直无法猜测,它们是吃不饱的动物,不满意一日三餐。据估计,在英国蜘蛛一年里所消灭昆虫的重量超过了这个国家人口的总重量。

Comprehension  理解

Give short answers to these questions in your own words as far as possible.Use one complete sentence for each answer.

1  Why have we reason to be grateful to insect-eating animals?

2  How can we tell the difference between a spider and an insect?

3  What do you understand by the statement‘One authority on spiders made a census of the spiders in a grass field…’?(11.9-10)

Vocabulary  词汇

Refer to the text to see how the following words have been used, then write sentences of your own using these words: destroy (1.1); devour (1.3); fraction (1.5); belongings (1.6); estimated (1.10).

Sentence structure  句子结构

A Combine the following sentences to make one complex statement out of each group.Make any changes you think necessary, but do not alter the sense of the original.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

1  Moreover, spiders are unlike some of the other insect eaters.They never do the least harm to us or our belongings.(11.5-6)

2  Spiders are not insects.They are not even nearly related to them.Many people think they are.(1.7)

3  One can tell the difference almost at a glance.A spider has eight legs.An insect never has more than six.(11.7-8)

4  How many do they kill? It is impossible to make more than the wildest guess at this.They are hungry creatures.

They are not content with only three meals a day.(11.12-13)

B  Complete the following sentences in any way you wish.Then  compare what you have written with the sentences in the passage:

1  Why, you may wonder, should spiders be our friends? Because ____.(11.1-2)

2  We owe a lot to birds and beasts who ____.(11.4-5)

3  One authority on spiders ____.(11.9-10)

4  It has been estimated that ____.(11.13-15)

C  Write three sentences saying why you like or dislike spiders.

Key structures  关键句型

A Compare these two sentences:

Instead of saying: I wonder why spiders are our friends.

We can say: Why…should spiders be our friends? (1.1)

Write these sentences again using the construction with should in place of the phrases in italics:

1  I wonder why he is so disappointed.

2  I wonder why you are so unwilling to change your mind.

3  I wonder why there are so many traffic accidents.

B  Note the form of the verb be in this sentence:

They would devour all our crops if it were not for the protection we get from insect-eating animals.(11.3-4)

Supply the correct form of be in these sentences:

1  I certainly wouldn't buy that car if I (be) in your position.

2  Do you think you would buy it if it (be) cheaper?

3  If I (be) made such an offer I would certainly accept it.

C  Supply a, an, and the where necessary in the spaces below.Do not refer to the passage until you have finished the exercise:

____ spiders are not ____ insects, as ____ many people think, nor even nearly related to them.

One can tell ____ difference almost at ____ glance for ____ spider always has eight legs and ____ insect never more than six.

How many spiders are engaged in this work on our behalf? One authority on ____ spiders made ____ census of ____ spiders in ____ grass field in ____ south of ____ England,and he estimated that there were more than 2,250,000 in ____ acre; that is something like 6,000,000 spiders of different kinds on ____ football pitch.(11.7-11)

Special difficulties  难点

A  Study the following pairs of words and then write sentences of your own to bring out the difference:

1  all…together (11.4-5)----altogether

Let's sing it again.All together now!

As far as I am concerned, Frank's proposal is altogether nonsensical.

2  other(1.5)----else

One of these blouses has buttons; the other hasn't.

We need one more helper.Can you find anyone else?

3  the least (1.6)----the last

He passed all his exams without seeming to make even the least effort.

She wouldn't marry him even if he was the last man on the planet.

4  harm (1.6)----hurt

Fertilizers have done a lot of harm to the soil.The bad effects will last a long time.

I banged my arm against the door and hurt myself.My arm still hurts.It's very painful.

5  glance (1.8)----glimpse

Would you mind having a glance at my essay before I hand it in?

I caught a glimpse of him as he walked past my window.

6  work (1.9)----job

I'm looking for work as a journalist.

Have you been doing all this work on your own?

I'd like a job in TV.Are there any jobs in TV?

7  estimated (1.10)----calculated

I estimate there must be at least eight hundred names on the list.

We've calculated the cost of a new office and it's more than we can afford.

B  Which verbs could be used in place of get in these sentences:

1  They would devour all our crops and kill our flocks and  herds, if it were not for the protection we get from insecteating animals.(11.2-4)

2  I got this hat at the shop on the corner.

3  Will you get that book for me please? It's on the shelf.

4  I got a letter from my brother yesterday.

5  I'm sorry, I didn't get that remark.

6  I didn't laugh because I didn't get the joke.

C  Note the use of tell in this sentence:

One can tell the difference almost at a glance.(11.7-8)

Supply the correct form of say or tell in these sentences:

1  Will you please ____ me the time?

2  I'm not very good at ____ stories.

3  You must ____ your prayers and go to bed.

4  Please ____ nothing more about it.

5  I can ____ you something about it.

6  We ____ goodbye and left.

7  I want you to ____ the truth.

D  Note the use of make in this sentence:

One authority on spiders made a census.(11.9-10)

Supply the correct form of make or do in the following sentences:

1  I ____ a number of proposals, none of which was accepted.

2  I'll ____ the washing up.

3  Will you help me to ____ this crossword puzzle?

4  You've ____ quite a few mistakes.

5  I've ____ an appointment for you for next week.

6  They ____ an announcement about it on the radio.

7  I'll ____ my best to help you.

E  Write sentences using the following phrases with at:

at a glance (1.8); at least (11.11-12); at any rate; at a loss; at sight; at a time.

Comprehension  理解

1  Spiders are our friends because they ____.

a.are beneficial insects

b.destroy insects without hurting us in any way

c.protect insect-eating animals

d.include some of the greatest enemies of the human race

2  Birds and beasts ____.

a.eat as many insects as spiders

b.eat more insects than spiders

c.can't compare with spiders as destroyers of insects

d.destroy a larger fraction of insects than spiders

3  If spiders were insects, they would ____.

a.have eight legs

b.have six legs

c.be able to fly

d.not destroy their own kind

4  Spiders are active in killing insects ____.

a.all the time

b.for most of the year

c.in the summer months

d.for a minimum of six months of each year

Structure  句型

5  It would ____ impossible for us to live in this world if insects had no enemies.(11.2-3)

a.make it

b.stay

c.be

d.have it

6  We owe ____ to the birds and beast who eat insects.(1.4)

a.a great deal

b.a lot of

c.a great many

d.much of

7  How many spiders are involved ____ this work on our behalf?(1.9)

a.at

b.for

c.in

d.to

8  There are many different ____ spiders.(1.11)

a.sorts of

b.kind of

c.type of

d.kinds

Vocabulary  词汇

9  Spiders ____ insects.(11.3-4)

a.defend us from

b.guard

c.protect

d.insure us against

10  You can see at a glance that spiders are not ____ insects.(1.7)

a.similar

b.like to

c.as

d.the same as

11  Spiders are creatures with large ____.(1.13)

a.hunger

b.appetites

c.desires

d.eating

12  Spiders like to eat more than ____ a day.(1.13)

a.three

b.three time

c.three times

d.threes
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

一般战友

精华
威望
K币
-4 元
注册时间
2002-3-22
发表于 2003-5-5 23:19 | 只看该作者

did you feel tired??

did you feel tired??
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

一般战友

精华
威望
K币
0 元
注册时间
2003-4-27
发表于 2003-5-6 01:29 | 只看该作者

顶!!!:^)
[img]http://icq163.com/ip.php[/img] 要回帖哦! [img]http://icq163.com/sign.php[/img]
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

荣誉版主

精华
威望
K币
9321 元
注册时间
2001-6-23
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-8 09:14 | 只看该作者

Lesson 4 Seeing hands,, ,,Listening comprehen

Lesson 4 Seeing hands

Listening comprehension

1  Introduce the text

T : Today we'll talk about a report that there are people who can ‘see’ with their hands.

2  Understand the topic

T : What can you see in the picture?

3  Listening objective

T : Listen to the text (or read it silently) and see if you can answer this question:

How did Vera discover she had this gift of second sight?

5  Answer the question

After the reading, ask the question again: How did Vera discover she had this gift of second sight?

Answer: Her father noticed that she seemed to be able to see what was in a locked safe. (ll. 4-5)

6  Intensive reading

Play the tape or read the text again, pausing after every sentence to check the students understand.

Obtain brief explanations to difficulties in the text from the students themselves. Only use Chinese if a confirmatory translation is necessary.

8  Reading aloud

Comprehension questions

1  Where have people been reported to be able to see with their hands? (In Russia.)

2  Can they read and detect colours with their fingers? (Yes, they can.)

3  They can see through solid doors and walls too, can't they? (Yes, they can.)

4  Who does this case concern? (An eleven-year-old schoolgirl, Vera Petrova.)

5  Does she have normal vision? (Yes, she does.)

6  How else can she perceive things? (With different parts of her skin.)

7  Who first noticed this ability ? (Her father did.)

8  Where was she at the time? (In his office.)

9  What did she happen to do? (She happened to put her hands on the door of a locked safe.)

10  What did she ask her father? (Why he kept so many old newspapers locked away there.)

11  What else could she describe? (The way they were done up in bundles.)

12  What happened next? ( Vera's talent was brought to the attention of a scientific research institute.)

13  What was the name of the town'? (Ulyanovsk.)

14  What did a special commission of the Russian Federal Ministry of Health do in April? (They gave her a series of tests.)

15  What was she able to do during these tests? (Read a newspaper through an opaque screen.)

16  How was she able to describe the figures and colours printed on a child's game of Lotto? (By moving her elbow over it.)

17  What part of her body did she use to make out a picture hidden underneath a carpet? (Her foot.)

18  What other parts of her body were shown to have a similar sensitivity? (Her knees and shoulders.)

19  How do we know she wasn't using her eyes during the tests? (She was always blindfold.)

20  Could she perceive things with her skin when she wasn't blindfold? (No, she couldn't.)

21  When else was she unable to perceive things with her fingers? (When her hands were wet.)

Asking questions: Ask me if …

T: Ask me if a number of people have been reported who can read with their fingers.

S: Have a number of people been reported who can read with their fingers?

T : How many…?

S: How many people have been reported who can read with their fingers?

1  a number of people have been reported who can read with their fingers. (How many)

2  they can see through solid walls and doors. (What)

3  Vera Petrova has normal vision. (What kind of)

4  she can also perceive things with parts of her skin. (What… with)

5  her father first noticed this ability. (Who)

6  she happened to put her hands on the door of a locked safe in his office. (Where )

7  she asked her father why he kept so many old newspapers locked away. (What)

8  Vera had a curious talent. (What kind of)

9  she was given a series of tests in April. (Why)

10  she was able to read a newspaper through an opaque screen. (How)

11  she was able to see figures and colours with her elbow. (How)

12  she was able to make out a picture hidden under a carpet. (What else)

Reconstruct the text

1  Several cases reported recently ---- Russia ---- people read, detect colours ---- fingers ---- even see through solid walls, doors.

2  One case ---- eleven-year-old schoolgirl, Vera Petrova, ---- normal vision ---- also perceive things different parts skin ---- through solid walls. This ability ---- first notice ---- father.

3  One day ---- come into office ---- happen ---- put hands ---- door ---- locked safe. Suddenly ---- ask father why keep ---- many old newspapers ---- lock away there, ---- even describe ---- way ---- done up in bundles.

4  Vera's curious talent ---- brought to notice ---- scientific research institute ---- town ---- Ulyanovsk ---- near where ---- live, ---- April ---- given series of tests ---- special commission ---- Ministry of Health of Russian Federal Republic.

5  During tests ---- read newspaper ---- opaque screen, ---- stranger still ---- move elbow over child's game, Lotto ---- describe figures and colours printed; another instance, ---- wear stockings ---- slippers, ---- make out ---- foot ---- outlines and colours ---- picture ---- hidden under carpet.

6  Other experiments show ---- knees and shoulders ---- similar sensitivity.

7  During all tests ---- Vera ---- blindfold; indeed, except ---- blindfold ---- lack ability ---- perceive things skin.

8  Also found ---- although perceive ---- with fingers ---- this ability cease ---- moment hands wet.

Topics for discussion

1  Have you had any experiences yourself that are hard to explain in terms of he world as we know it? If so, tell us about them.

2  Has anyone you know ever told you about a paranormal experience that they have had? If so, tell us about it.

3  Do you believe the story reported in the text? Why?/Why not? What do you think of reports about peculiar events, such as telepathic experiences, or strange lights in the sky? Are they true or false, do you think?

Key to Comprehension

Possible answers

1  Vera's father discovered his daughter's curious talent when she showed she could tell what was inside a locked safe in his office by putting her hands on the door.

2  She was unable to perceive objects with her skin unless she was blindfold.

3  She lost the ability to perceive objects with her fingers as soon as her hands were wet.

Key to Vocabulary

A possible answer

I have spoken to her on several occasions.

You can buy an electronic device that will detect electric cables hidden in walls through the plaster.

My father's vision was remarkably good until he was 88, when he developed cataracts.

She was one of those people who pretend to perceive the innermost soul of everyone they meet.  

This is a curious business, and I have no more idea than you do how it will end.

There had been a series of wet days, and it felt as if it would go on raining for ever.

At the top of the hill, there was a row of trees, their winter outlines dark against the sky.

We had already met once before at a neighbour's house on a similar occasion.

Erica had ceased to worry about her appearance when she moved to the country.

A  See text.

B  See text.

C  A possible answer

1  Vera Petrova has the unusual ability of being able to use her hands to perceive things through solid walls and in locked containers.

2  During a series of tests, she showed that she could detect printed shapes and colours on a Lotto board with her elbow.

3  She also managed to make out with her foot the outline of a picture hidden underneath a carpet.

Key to KS Exercises

A  See text.

B  The first example is a direct question, formed with an auxiliary verb (did), and with the subject-verb inversion: did he keep (instead of‘ he kept’). The second example is a reported (or‘indirect’) question in which the normal word order of subject-verb applies, and there is therefore no auxiliary verb: he kept.

1  I asked him when he bought that car.

2  I asked him where he found that book.

3  I asked him why he sent a fax.

4  I asked him how he knew I was here.

5  I asked him which one he liked best.

C  The example shows a prepositional phrase (By moving her elbow over a child's game of Lotto…) used instead of an adverbial clause: When she moved her elbow over a child's game of Lotto… . After a preposition, the verb is always an -ing form, not an infinitive.

1 getting  2 arriving  3 trying  4 persuading

D  We use was/were able to, not ‘could’, to express ‘achievement after effort’. That is, we can replace succeed in or manage to with was/were able to; ‘could ’is not possible in such sentences. We use could as an ‘unreal past’, to express ‘would be able to’ if certain conditions were fulfilled: I could/ would be able to save some money if I used my bicycle more. We also use could to refer to natural or learned abilities in the past: I could play the violin guile well when I was a girl.

1 could  2 could  3 was able to  4 was able to  5 was able to

Special difficulties

A

1  Normal means ‘standard’, ‘exactly as you'd expect’: He grew up in a normal household, just a normal, healthy, reasonably happy child. Though normal and ordinary can seem to be interchangeable, ordinary means ‘simple’, ‘not fancy’, ‘not special’: Can I go to the party in my ordinary office clothes? Monday was just like any other ordinary working day.

2  Both skin and complexion can be used to refer to the colour and quality of facial skin: He has an olive complexion/skin, though complexion is the more exact term, and is preferable in formal contexts.

Only skin is used to mean ‘the outer covering of the body’: The skin ages in response to sunlight.

3  Notice means ‘see and become aware of’: Have you noticed that truck at the end of the road?

Remark means ‘comment’, ‘say’: ‘The weather's improved, ’she remarked. Remark meaning ‘see’ is archaic.

4  An office is a room or a building where business is carried out: I got to the office at nine.

A study is a place in someone's home used for domestic paperwork and private study: You'll find it on the desk in my study .

5  A game is an activity with rules that people play: a game of cards, a game of football, a game of chance.

It is also the board and pieces for such an activity: a game of Monopoly, a board-game.

A toy is an item that someone plays with in his/her own way, and without external rules: a toy train, a toy car: You can't treat children as if they were toys or dolls and just put them back in the cupboard when you're tired!

6  Lack means‘not have enough’: Lots of children lack the opportunity to learn a foreign language.

Need means ‘require’: How much time will you need?

7  Wet is the opposite of ‘dry’: wet weather, wet grass, wet paint, etc.

Damp means ‘very slightly wet’, often in a negative or unpleasant way: a damp house, damp clothes, damp logs that won't burn.

B  1 tied 2 as good as dead 3 finished 4 decorated it 5 cheated me out of

C  1 numbers 2 shape/outline 3 the shape of the body

D  1 perceive 2 ran away 3 understand him 4 transferred 5 inventing

Repetition drill

Self-improvement

To elicit  statements involving the use of the gerund in the pattern ‘You can only … by…-ing’.

T : Drill 4. Self-improvement. This is the situation. Listen. Do not speak. Two women are talking. The first woman is anxious to improve herself and she is asking her friend for advice. This is how their conversation begins:

(1)  T : How can I pass the exam? I'll have to work harder, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only pass the exam by working harder.

(2)  T: And how can I improve my English? I'll have to practise more, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only improve your English by practising more.

(3)  T : And how can I get fit? I'll have to go to a gym, I suppose.

S: Of course. You can only get fit by going to a gym.

T: Now you do the same. Ready?

1  As in (1) above.

2  As in (2) above.

3  As in (3) above.

4  T : And how can I stop smoking? I'll have to try harder, I suppose.

S: Of course. You can only stop smoking by trying harder.

5  T : And how can I learn word-processing? I'll have to join a class, I suppose.

S: Of course. You can only learn word-processing by joining a class.

6  T : And how can I develop my career? I'll have to get a better job, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only develop your career by getting a better job.

7  T: And how can I become better-informed? I'll have to read the newspapers, I suppose.

S: Of course. You can only become better-informed by reading the newspapers.

8  T : And how can I make more friends? I'll have to be more sociable, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only make more friends by being more sociable.

9  T : And how can I get about more easily? I'll have to buy a car, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only get about more easily by buying a car.

10  T : And how can I look smarter? I'll have to buy some new clothes, I suppose.

S : Of course. You can only look smarter by buying some new clothes.

11  T : And how can I get a better figure? I'll have to lose some weight, I suppose.  

S : Of course. You can only get a better figure by losing some weight.

12  T : And how can I lose some weight? I'll have to visit a masseuse, I suppose.  

S : Of course. You can only lose some weight by visiting a masseuse.

T: But I did visit a masseuse! I didn't lose any weight at all, but the masseuse lost a great deal!

1a                  2c                  3c               4a                 5B

6B                 7c                  8d               9a                 10a

11B                12d
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册 人人连接登陆

本版积分规则   

关闭

您还剩5次免费下载资料的机会哦~

扫描二维码下载资料

使用手机端考研帮,进入扫一扫
在“我”中打开扫一扫,
扫描二维码下载资料

关于我们|商务合作|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|服务条款|隐私保护|帮学堂| 网站地图|院校地图|漏洞提交|考研帮

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 06:29 , Processed in 0.083002 second(s), Total 21, Slave 20(Usage:7.75M, Links:[2]1,1_1) queries , Memcache On.